About FERC Office of Enforcement
Initiates and executes investigations of possible violations of the statutes administered by the Commission and the rules, orders, and regulations issued thereunder. Recommends remedies to address violations and pursues remedies through negotiation or litigation. Administers the implementation of 18 C.F.R. Parts 1b and 1c. Maintains a forum to informally resolve disputes and advises the Commission on enforcement and compliance issues.
- Provides overall guidance on general enforcement policy and on all aspects of the enforcement program.
- Conducts preliminary investigations concerning possible violations of statutes, orders, opinions, or regulations.
- Advises the Commission on whether to issue formal orders of investigation or take alternative actions such as administrative or judicial enforcement actions, rulemaking, or show cause proceedings.
- Conducts formal investigations that may include the issuance of subpoenas.
- Represents the Commission in actions for injunctive and other relief in Federal District Court; as appropriate.
- Represents the Commission and explains and advocates its legal and policy positions in meetings with industry, other agencies and the public.
- Appears in administrative adjudicatory proceedings involving alleged violations.
- Negotiates settlements to obtain compliance with and remedy violations of statutes, regulations and orders.
- Recommends transmittal of evidence of probable criminal violations to the Department of Justice (DOJ) and other agencies and, if approved by the Commission, coordinates with DOJ and other agencies during the resulting criminal investigation and prosecution, if required.
- Participates in development of the Commission's strategic plan and recommends regulatory and statutory changes necessary to carry out the enforcement and compliance process.
- Establishes and maintains liaison with other Federal agencies, state utility Commission's and other groups which aid in the enforcement and compliance process.
- Undertakes any other appropriate enforcement action.
- Drafts orders, rulemakings and associated memoranda and advises the Commission on matters pertaining to enforcement and compliance.
- Participates in the development and the analysis of legislation.
- Maintains the Enforcement Hotline to receive complaints, informally resolve disputes, and provide informed staff opinions and general information to callers concerning any matter subject to the Commission's jurisdiction.
- Maintains alternative dispute resolution function to informally resolve issues related to barriers to competition in the natural gas and wholesale electric markets, or to impeding market-responsive pricing.