Federal Energy Regulatory Commission skip navigation



 
Electric Power Markets: California (CAISO)
 

California (CAISO) Electric Regions  
California (CAISO) Electric Regions  
 
 
Overview

Geography
Back to Top
 
    States covered: California (most of)

    Reliability region: Sub-region of the Western Electric Coordinating Council (WECC)] Balancing authorities: California ISO (CAISO), Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD), Turlock Irrigation District (TID), Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP). Approximately 80% of demand in the CAMX subregion is within the area of the CAISO balancing authority. The portion of the CAMX area within Mexico is small. The remaining 20% of California’s load is managed primarily by municipal utilities and irrigation districts such as Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, the Sacramento Municipal Utility District, and the Imperial Irrigation District.

    Balancing authorities: California ISO (CAISO), Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD), Turlock Irrigation District (TID), Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP), and Comision Federal de Electricidad (CFE). [WECC balancing authority map PDF]

    Approximately 80% of demand in the CAMX subregion is within the area of the CAISO balancing authority. The portion of the CAMX area within Mexico is comparatively small. The remaining 20% of California's load is managed primarily by municipal utilities and irrigation districts such as the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, the Sacramento Municipal Utility District, and the Imperial Irrigation District.

    CAISO zones: NP-15, ZP-15, SP-15

RTO/ISO Back to Top
 
California ISO (CAISO) (established 1996) operates the region's power grid and wholesale electric markets:

  • Energy market: three – settlement (day ahead, hour ahead, and real time). Spot market with locational marginal pricing.
  • Ancillary services, and
  • Financial Transmission Rights market
CAISO 2009 State of the Markets Report PDF External Link
Market Monitor: Eric Hildebrandt, Director, Department of Market Monitoring
Generation/Supply (CAISO only) Back to Top
 
    Marginal fuel type: natural gas

    Generating capacity (summer 2006): 56,347 MW

    Capacity reserve (summer 2006): 6,077 MW

    Reserve margin (summer 2006): 12%

Demand
Back to Top
 
    All time peak demand: 50,270 MW (set July 24, 2006)

    System peak loads declined in 2009, due in part to an economic recession and a generally mild summer.

    Peak demand growth: -2.1% (2008-2009)

      2006 2007 2008 2009
    Summer Peak Demand (MW) 50,085 48,490 46,814 45,809
    Source: Derived from FERC Form 714

    Load pockets: Humbolt, North Bay, Greater San Francisco Bay, Sierra, Stockton, Los Angeles Basin, and San Diego areas.

Prices (CAISO only)
Back to Top
 
    Annual Average Price (ISO Real-time)

    NP-15:
    2004: $38.35/MWh
    2005: $54.35/MWh
    2006: $43.40/MWh
    2007: $54.91/MWh
    2007: $71.01/MWh
    2007: $34.57/MWh (Post MRTU 4/1/09 – 12/31/09)

    SP-15:
    2004: $39.47/MWh
    2005: $55.52/MWh
    2006: $46.89/MWh
    2007: $54.91/MWh
    2008: $69.56/MWh
    2009: $34.35/MWh (Post MRTU 4/1/09 – 12/31/09)

Interconnections/Seams
Back to Top
 
    Load serving entities within CAISO rely on Imports for approximately one-fourth of their annual energy needs.


Contact Information:
For questions regarding the material in the California section please contact our staff at: oversight@ferc.gov



Updated: November 26, 2013