Media Statements & Speeches
|Statement: October 15, 2009||View Printable PDF Version|
Commissioner Kelly's statement on the Strategic Plan for FY 2009 - 2014
- The Strategic Plan reflects this country's shifting transmission paradigm. It recognizes not only the enormous potential for new and diverse energy sources, but how to tap into that potential and bring it into the market, both in the near and long term.
- At the same time, the Plan affirms the Commission's core -- and most important -- mission: to protect consumers by ensuring reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy at just and reasonable rates.
- I agree with the Plan's forward-looking objectives, such as promoting operational efficiencies in wholesale markets, and increasing efficiencies in infrastructure, consistent with demand. I also support the Plan's objective to build on a number of the Commission's important continuing efforts, including promoting an open and transparent planning process for electric transmission, and moving the ball forward on Reliability Standards.
- I also applaud the Plan's objective to increase compliance programs and self-reporting of violations. Under the strong leadership of our Enforcement Office, rest assured that the Commission will continue to provide clarity-hence more certainty--on our regulatory requirements.
- I appreciate the Plan's consideration of Smart Grid technologies. As many of you know, this is an issue that is near and dear to my heart. As NIST continues its important work coordinating the process for developing Smart Grid interoperability standards, we stand ready to support the deployment of smart grid applications by reviewing and adopting, as appropriate, the NIST-developed standards and protocols. The resulting deployment of Smart Grid technologies will increase the efficiency of the country's electric grid.
- The Strategic Plan reflects this country's evolving energy landscape, and provides a roadmap for navigating that landscape. I am confident in the Commission's commitment to incorporate the Plan's vision into our day-to-day activities.
|View Printable PDF Version|