About FERC Office of Energy Policy and Innovation
The Division of Policy Development initiates and coordinates the development of Commission policies to:
- Enhance the efficient planning and operation of energy markets and the interstate power grid;
- Improve the coordination between wholesale electric and natural gas systems;
- Remove barriers to ensure access to the market and grid by all resources; and
- Improve coordination between wholesale and retail electric markets.
- Identifies emerging energy issues and develops policies to address those issues.
- Provides analysis and research to support the Commissionís decision making.
- Coordinates with states and other agencies in support of the Commission's state-federal collaborative efforts.
- Fulfills the requirements of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 and the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007.
- Evaluates regional planning processes to ascertain the success of the processes in developing system-wide plans and considering new technologies, and proposes reforms as appropriate.
- Conducts outreach to assess industry trends and innovation in the electric and natural gas markets.