In 2008, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) issued a report, FERC Could Take Additional Steps to Analyze Regional Transmission Organizations’ Benefits and Performance , recommending that the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) develop standardized measures or metrics to track the performance of Regional Transmission Organization (RTO) operations and markets.
In the time since the release of the GAO report, FERC staff has undertaken a series of steps to develop, collect, and evaluate RTO and ISO performance metrics. FERC staff continues to collect and evaluate performance metrics under information collection FERC-922. Docket No. AD14-15-000 contains details relating to the most recent information collection.
The list below contains links to previous staff reports in this initiative:
- 2016 Common Metrics for RTO/ISOs and Individual Utilities Staff Report | Errata Notice (revised on October 18, 2016)
- 2014 Common Metrics (Docket No. AD14-15-000) Staff Report
- 2012 Performance Metrics in Regions Outside ISOs and RTOs (Docket No. AD12-8-000) Staff Report
- 2011 Report to Congress on Performance Metrics for Independent System Operators and Regional Transmission Organizations
- 2010 ISO/RTO Performance Metrics (Docket No. AD10-5-000) Staff Report