Major damage occurred to the Oroville Dam Service Spillway during spillway operation on February 7, 2017. Additionally, due to high inflows and reduced service spillway capacity, the ungated emergency spillway saw overtopping flow beginning on February 11, 2017, for the first time. Excessive erosion of the bedrock downstream of the emergency spillway threatened the stability of the structure on February 12, 2017. The reservoir was immediately lowered using the service spillway to prevent potential erosion of the emergency spillway’s foundation.
- March 20, 2017 - Letter from FERC to DWR, regarding Forensic Team
- March 3, 2017 - Interview with Acting Chairman Cheryl LaFleur at Oroville Dam, recorded March 1, 2017 Podcast
- February 21, 2017 - Letter from FERC to DWR, approving the Independent Board of Consultants and outlining next steps
- February 18, 2017 - Letter from DWR, naming the Independent Board of Consultants and the next steps
- February 14, 2017 - Acting Chairman LaFleur's Statement on Oroville Dam Situation Read More
- February 13, 2017 - Letter to the DWR, regarding Emergency Repair and Board of Consultants for Oroville Dam Spillway