Resources How to Get Involved
The Commission provides a number of important opportunities for landowners and citizens to participate in decision making on proposed natural gas and hydroelectric projects.
- Attending and participating in public scoping meetings
and environmental site reviews. Participants can tell Commission Staff about:
- Environmental and socioeconomic resources that are important and should be examined FERC
- Other alternatives to the proposed project
that should be evaluated
- Commenting on the Commission's draft Environmental Assessment
(EA) and Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).
- All timely comments are answered in the Final EA or EIS.
- Commenters should support any recommendations
for any mitigative measures that they want the FERC to
include in any approvals issued (hydropower licensees
and natural gas certificates of public convenience).
- Asking the Commission's Alternative
Dispute Resolution for assistance in resolving disputes
with the energy company that is proposing a project.
- The Commission encourages applicants and citizens to resolve disputes
- The Commission also encourages applicants
and affected organizations to enter into Settlement Agreements
to resolve large, controversial hydropower projects and
natural gas projects.
- Anyone who is an Intervenor can ask the Commission to reconsider its hydropower licensing and natural gas certification decisions.
Keeping up with and managing project-related correspondence is no small task. Prior to eFiling and eSubscription, this was a paper-intensive process. We encourage all participants who have computers and an email address (Yahoo and Microsoft Hotmail offer free email addresses) to:
- Use eFiling to submit documents and comments to FERC;
- Use eSubscription to subscribe to the project number of any hydroelectric or natural gas project in which they are interested;
- Use the Calendar of Events, especially Scoping Meetings and Environmental Site Reviews; and
- Become acquainted with the features of eLibrary.
|« Should I get Involved?||The Process »|