Original Issuance: Chapter 14, Appendix L, Detailed Radial Gate Inspection Reports.
The FERC Division of Dam Safety and Inspections implemented the Tainter Gate Initiative in 1998, following the failure of a radial spillway gate at Folsom Dam. Since the 2001 revision to the initiative, each dam with a Category 1 radial gate has been required to submit a detailed Gate Inspection Report (GIR) at a ten-year interval. The GIRs submitted to-date have varied in quality, scope, and contents.
Therefore, Chapter 14, Appendix L provides guidance on our minimum expectations for the GIRs, including the required qualifications of the team, an outline for the report and appendices, and the minimum contents thereof. Appendix L also includes copies of previous letters issued by the FERC related to the Tainter Gate Initiative, for reference.
- Chapter 1 – General Requirements, (Final Version)
- Chapter 2 – Selecting and Accommodating Inflow Design Floods for Dams, (Final Version)
- Revised Chapter 3 – Gravity Dams
- Chapter 4 – Embankment Dams (Revised Draft Version)
- Chapter 6 – Emergency Action Plans (Final Version)
- Final Revised Engineering Guidelines Chapter 11 - Arch Dams
- Chapter 13 – Evaluation of Seismic Hazards (Revised Draft Version)
- Chapter 14 – Emergency Action Plans (Final Version)
- Chapter 14 – Evaluation of Hydropower Projects Appendix L
- Testing and Reporting on Spillway Gate Operations
- Revised Dam Safety Surveillance Monitoring Plan and Report (DSSMP/DSSMR) - Appendices J and K
- Status of Proposed New Chapters and Proposed Revisions
- Annual Spillway Gate Operation Certificate PDF
- Annual Spillway Gate Operation Certificate DOC