The following shows how to submit a tariff and completed application using the eTariff system. If you are a new Seller and need information regarding what to include in an application, see our initial application guide. For information regarding XML, see our xml guide. For a cheat sheet of market-based rate eTariff codes, see out eTariff Filing eCode guides.
Order No. 714, requires all filings that contain tariff sheets to be submitted through the eTariff system. Below is a guide on how to make your initial eTariff filing.
Register Your Company
- Go to FERC Online and click on New User.
- Fill out and submit the form. You will receive and ID and password.
- Go to Log In. Use your ID and password to log in to FERC Online.
- Go to the Company Registration page, and click on "Register a company for the first time."
- Under Regulatory Program, select "FPA (Market Based Rate) Public Utilities."
- Please select the button to indicate that yours is a Required Filing Company.
- On the Forms page, please check the following boxes:
eTariff, MBR and EQR.
- Please select any other Agents from the dropdown that you permit to make your filings.
- You will receive a Company Identifier (CID) and password.
Create Your .xml File
- Download a Sample XML file.
- Use the eTariff Filing Codes for market-based rate filing document and Tables for the XML Schema to populate your .xml file with the correct metadata.
- Save your .xml file.
- Zip your .xml file (and only your .xml file - not the documents).
- Submit your .xml file to our Sandbox Electronic Test Site.
- Please review the Test File Instruction Guide.
- Correct any errors you receive and resubmit to the Sandbox.
- Continue correcting any errors and resubmitting until no errors are reported.
Submit your Filing
- Log on to FERC Online.
- Click eFiling.
- Under "How is your filing to be directed?" choose Electric.
- Under "What kind of filing are you making?" choose eTariff.
- Under "Filing Type (Fee)" choose eTariff and click Next.
- Select from the dropdown the company for which you are submitting a filing.
- Upload the zip file that contains your .xml file.
- You will receive 2 emails verifying that we received your filing:
- If you receive any errors, amend your .xml file and resubmit your filing.
- If you receive Warnings, your filing has been received, but you need to double-check that you submitted the correct information as such warnings are indications that what you submitted is different than what we normally receive.
- Electric Market-Based Rates
- Filing Process Information
- Market-Based Rate eTariff
- Important Orders
- Market Power Analysis
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Market-Based Rates
- Assets Appendix
- Accepted Market Power Studies and SIL Values Chart
- Blank Stack Analysis
- Electric utilities with approved market-based rate authority (includes contact information)
- Utilities where market-based rate authority has been cancelled